Sadly, for tax professionals and taxpayers the IRS is among the government agencies affected by the government shutdown. If the shutdown continues to take place through late January or perhaps even part of February, it could take a toll on the processing of income tax returns.
Their services are extremely limited to the following:
* Processing electric filed returns
* Processing disaster relief transcripts
* Design and printing of tax forms
* Accepting payments
During the shutdown, the IRS is not offering the following:
* Answering phone calls
* Processing 1040x amended returns
* Conducting audits or examinations of returns
* Issuing tax refunds
Proceed as usual when it comes to your tax related obligations.
* File all your returns on time
* Pay your tax liabilities on time
* Consult with your tax professional and stay prepared